Written by Millionaire’s Digest Team Member: Kash Pals
Founder & Owner of: Best Places of Interest
Millionaire’s Digest Team, Contributor, Family & Life, Fashion & Style, Food & Drink, Health & Fitness, Home & Gardening, Successful Living and Travel Writer
Grease and oil stains are the worst of all when collected on clothes especially if it’s one of your favorite ones! Luckily, there are many different ways to combat those annoying black spots and wipe them permanently without ruining the fabric. So here’s how to remove grease stains from clothes:
- Scrape as much grease or oil as possible using a simple spoon. Work with delicate hands as forceful removal may even ruin the fabric quality for good.
- Blot the grease stain with a paper towel. Simply lift the towel after dabbing and continue till the marks stop appearing on the towel.
- Directly sprinkle baby powder or cornstarch on the spot and allow it to set for five to ten minutes. It’ll absorb the stain making it easier for you to proceed with the laundry. If you’re missing both products, go with salt or usual flour as they’re effective cleaning alternatives against grease stains as well.
- The next step is cleaning the powder either with a paper towel or nail brush. Be gentle as working rigorously on the fabric and you might spread the stain further on other parts of the cloth.
- A drop or two of dishwashing liquid directly on the grease spot is also good. Follow with a drop of water and rub gently till slight lather appears.
- Now, take an old nail or toothbrush and rub the mark in a circular motion. Do this for both sides of the fabric!
- Next step is washing the item either in a machine or by hand but only after reading the wash care label since you don’t want to ruin the fabric.
- Air dry the treated garment by laying it flat or hanging on the clothes line.
NOTE: Don’t expose the cloth in dryer system unless the stain is permanently gone because if any remains, dryer heat would only set it deeper; making it virtually impossible to clean further.
Extra tips & advice
- Although the above procedure is safe for almost all fabric types, do read the wash care label carefully for specific instructions to prevent quality.
- Just in case you managed a grease spot on delicate fabric like silk or wool, better let a professional cleaner treat the garment to be on a safe side.
- There’re some excellent and effective cleaning products available on almost every grocery store that cleanses grease marks as if they weren’t even there. So, get one today and save yourself from additional elbow grease and wash with some of these products but only after carefully reading the wash care instructions.
- To clean a fresh stain, be it from oil or grease is far easier than those permanent spots. Follow the old saying “the sooner, the better” and if by chance you don’t have washing powder, work with a dishwashing soap but only apply directly on the mark.
The above steps would definitely help you deal with oil and grease stains letting you salvage our favorite clothes for longer. For more on how to remove grease stains from clothes.
Article Credits: Kash Pals
Millionaire’s Digest Team, ContributorTags: clothes clothing engines family fashion Grease stains Home how to ideas Life living oil stains stains Style