The 80-20 Rule: How to Use Less to Be More Effective

Written by Millionaire’s Digest Staff Member: Precious Kc George

Founder & Owner of: Think Digest

Millionaire’s Digest Staff Team, Author, Successful Living Writer

The 80-20 rule can be applied to every aspect of your life, yet it is widely forgotten by many. This is an old principle which says that from 20% of the causes you get 80% of the results. For example, you wear 20% of your clothes 80% of your time, you go out 80% of your time with 20% of your friends, you get 80% of income from 20% of the income generating sources.

The 80-20 rule can be applied everywhere, no matter what subject you pick. For example, there are around 20% of people that cause 80% of your frustration; There are 20% of activities that give you 80% of pleasure.

This 80/20 ratio is just a general guideline, it is not always exact. Sometimes 90/10 or even 99/1 can be found. It could be that 1% of your business actions cause 99% of your income. Another example could be that 5% of your daily activities cause 95% of your happiness.

When you really get this law you can make your life so much easier. With such knowledge you can ruthlessly go through all your daily activities, eliminate most inefficient ones and leave only value producing activities.

When I went through my daily activities, I was astonished to find out that 90% of my time was spent on things which gave me “little” or no result. Boy! I was shocked to know that. Ever since I decided to apply this principle my focus and life has been just great.

Now you may ask why the 80-20 rule exists. This is because we are habitual beings. We get into the habit of certain activities, go to certain places and see certain people. Other activities or things fall off as a result. But this may not explain the financial situation of the world. Why around 90% of all world’s money rests in 10% of the super rich hands? Could this be explained as habitual? I would certainly think so. Here’s how I view it.
As the masses have old habits so the world’s wealthiest people are uncommon thinkers. Both are habits. The masses are driven by the habits formed in past generations, whereas the wealthy form new habits (except when they are born into rich families that had those habits before). So the masses are poor because of their poor habits and the wealthy are well-off because of their good habits. I hope you get my philosophy behind the 80-20 rule.

With the knowledge of this rule, you could apply it to get rid of the things that bother you. Honestly ask yourself these questions:

Which 20% of causes result in 80% of my unhappiness?

Which 20% of daily activities consume 80% of my time?

Which 20% of people cause 80% of my frustration?

When you identify 20% of causes to 80% of your unhappiness, eliminate them as soon as you can. Also, if you find that some activities are unproductive, yet you waste most of your time on them, eliminate them too.
The result? Less clustered, happier and more productive life.

What do you think of this rule, what other ways do you think it could be applied?

Think Positive, Think Different.

Article Credits: Precious Kc George

Millionaire’s Digest Staff Team, Author

(For Book, Beauty Bloggers & More)

Tags:
34 Comments
  1. Nena 2 years ago

I think it can be a pretty solid rule. You can also say that a healthy lifestyle is 80% what you eat and 20% physical activity.

2. sharingiscaring00 2 years ago

I studied this in college and it works if you actually do it thanks for posting this because now with my journal writing I can update and do this. ~Jackie

• Thinkdigest 2 years ago

Hey! Jackie you got a journal too? that’s awesome. Since when did you start keeping one? BTW, thanks a whole lot for stopping by.
      much love, George

3. Her Unicorn Island 2 years ago

When I asked these question to myself, I was too surprised to know that 80% of work I do results in no work. Now will keep n eye on that. Thanks for sharing this.

• Thinkdigest 2 years ago

That’s just how it is. we think we work but it kinda turns out that we don’t necessarily get the result we deserve. thanks for leaving such an amazing comment. *smiles*
      much love, George

4. Mike 2 years ago

I read a good book about this recently by Richard Koch. Using this rule is useful for me in establishing focus and keeping my eye on the prize. Thanks George

• Thinkdigest 2 years ago

Wow Hey Mike! just happy to hear this awesome result of yours. You’re most welcome.
      ?
      Much love

5. oodles of smidjens 2 years ago

Wow..that is all…have to go map out my day calculator in hand!

• Thinkdigest 2 years ago

That would be a great call. ?

Glad it helped. Hope you get the most out of it.

Much love,
      Geore

6. melaniefellmanwrites 2 years ago

Thank you for this post! It is causing me to think of ways for applying the 80/20 rule in ways I never thought of before. Hmmm, is it worth keeping those shirts which are worn 20% of the time? Maybe a few of them, definitely not all of them. Time to declutter!

• Thinkdigest 2 years ago

Helli Melanie Thanks for your amazing comment.

Lol ? definitely not all. This rule has been open to us. Just like you, I was amazed at the result i got from it. And i bet it sure will make one heck of a difference for you too.

Thanks again my cheer-leading coach.
      Best wishes,
      George

7. Bee 2 years ago

I adore this post and i love everything about The Millionaire’s Digest, come check out my blog at https://beeuniek.wordpress.com/

8. […] via The 80-20 Rule: How to use less to be more effective. (3 mins) — The Millionaire’s Digest […]

9. […] via The 80-20 Rule: How to use less to be more effective. (3 mins) — The Millionaire’s Digest […]

10. TheHappyGuy 2 years ago

It was Tim Ferriss who originally introduced me to this principle and I thank you for reminding me once again, so important to my success! The Happy Guy ~ happyhustle.org

11. Idle Muser 2 years ago

I personally feel it will work out. Can work for anyone in any profession or circumstance.
    Will surely give it a try. 🙂

12. _pastelmarie 2 years ago

This makes so much sense! Thank you!

13. michael esplana 2 years ago

it makes sense. a very simple explanation. thanks for sharing your thoughts.

14. iamdiannahicks 2 years ago

great read and tips

15. Jeremy Mcgilvrey 2 years ago

Very nice post.

16. ssunshine14 2 years ago

It’s awesome 🙂
    Thanks 🙂

17. […] via The 80-20 Rule: How to use less to be more effective. (3 mins) — Millionaire’s Digest […]

18. jakerose 2 years ago

This is awesome, sort of a minimalistic strategy to manage your time far more effectively. I think everyone has so much unneeded clutter in their lives that needs sorted through from time to time, and I think the 80-20 rule is totally applicable in all our lives. Thanks for sharing!

19. […] via The 80-20 Rule: How to use less to be more effective. (3 mins) — Millionaire’s Digest […]

20. manasal397 2 years ago

This 80-20 rule can change lives. I think everyone just gets into unwanted things in life sometimes and that leads to unhappiness. By following this rule they can identify those flaws which keeps them away from happiness. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

21. […] via The 80-20 Rule: How to use less to be more effective. (3 mins) — Millionaire’s Digest […]

22. […] via The 80-20 Rule: How to use less to be more effective. (3 mins) — Millionaire’s Digest […]

23. Chris Omoruyi 2 years ago

24. mindelate 2 years ago

It’s almost like detoxing your life! Removing all the toxic and unproductive things that do you no good and drag you down, while keeping the positive things that help you move forward. Great post and will be using the 80-20 rule.

25. divya 2 years ago

Thanks for this useful post. Perfect to start my mornings 🙂

26. nivienbeauty 2 years ago

Great post!!!

27. Oh! Seems like it’s time to introspect a little! Thanks for sharing! ?

28. Bhavya Pal 1 year ago

Wow! Now that I think about it, this rule can be applied to every part of our lives. Great post ?