Advertisements

9 Things You Can Do to Become a More Successful You (2 min read)

1. Decide what is important and why.

What is your motivation for wanting to develop a new habit? Will it improve your life? Envision the outcome if you don’t make the change. Then decide how you are going to make the change. If you want more clients, make more contacts; if you want to get more done in the day, get up an hour earlier; if you want to be healthier, instill an exercise regimen into the daily routine. Set a goal and then give yourself a timeline to complete it.

2. Make the habit reasonable.

If a new habit is too difficult to maintain, mostly likely it will fall by the wayside. Choose a realistic new habit that you desire and know you can accomplish. Start small, like cutting back on the number of cups of coffee you drink each day, or making one lunch date a week with a potential referral source.

3. Choose one habit at a time.

Trying to change several habits at once is too much for anyone. Instead, concentrate on one behavioral change until it becomes routine, then add a second one. If you’re overwhelmed by too many changes, you most likely won’t accomplish any of them.

Read: 6 Habits of Successful People

4. Give yourself time.

It takes time to change a habit. According to a study by University College London health psychology professor Phillippa Lally, it takes more than two months, or 66 days, for a new habit to take hold.

5. Don’t expect perfection.

You’re bound to slip up one or more times as you work your way towards your new behavior. Be patient with yourself and accept the slip. Then recommit to the new habit.

Read: 10 Things Successful People Never Do

6. Engage others.

Being held accountable for a new behavior is a solid way to reinforce the behavior. Tell others what you’re trying to do, and let them help if they offer. Don’t get angry if they remind you of your goal now and again. This may be just what you need to stay on track. You may even motivate them to make some goals too.

7. Be consistent.

Consistency is the key to establishing a new habit. Do the same thing day after day to set it firmly in your mind and routine. If possible, set a schedule for the new behavior, and stick to it. Be accountable, either by tracking the new habit on a chart or interfacing with others.

8. Replace a bad habit with a good one.

To ditch a bad habit, try replacing it with a better one. If your desk features a candy jar, replace the contents with healthy snacks, like nuts. Or if you like to stay up late watching TV, read in bed instead.

9. Build in a reward.

Set a standard of behavior and offer yourself a reward at the end of 30 or 60 days. But make sure the reward does not include the old behavior. For example, don’t celebrate with a big meal if your new habit is eating less at lunchtime.

(For Travel, Book, Beauty Bloggers & More!)
Article Credits Go Respectably to Entrepreneur Media, Inc.
Advertisements
45 Comments
  1. depatridge 2 months ago

I found it most interesting, hence the reblog.

2. depatridge 2 months ago

Reblogged this on Matthews' Blog.

3. GREYblog 2 months ago

Good advice…..Im always trying to start something new in my life, just need to stop procastinating.

4. […] via 9 Things You Can Do To Become A More Successful You (2 min read) — Millionaire’s Digest […]

5. cherryontop3 3 months ago

This is a great post ! Check out my blog please 🙂 !

6. Anju 3 months ago

Very well written and explained : i love all the points you made.
    thanks for sharing!

7. JackedFinance 5 months ago

Great points! The power of habit is a great book that supports all your points.

I suggest people to live by key principles to form your habits around. Such as, health, wealth, and happiness

8. Thoughts and Views 5 months ago

Great post. We always have an issue with being perfect. It is time to be ourselves and just do our best no matter the outcome. We learn from our mistakes.

9. Isaac T.Wise 5 months ago

I love about step 5,don’t expect perfection.I always discard my projects or whatever habit I tried to start when something wrong happened with it.Now,I accept the imperfection and by believing I will doing it better if I being consistent with it,my daily life become better than before.

10. openthoughtsonlife2017 5 months ago

This was helpful. I struggle with the Choose One Habit at a Time. I have been trying to just slow down and focus. This helped. Thank you.

11. Monergyguy 5 months ago

It’s all about accessing the right energy…..and not being greedy.

12. louresa 5 months ago

This post is so inspiring, Thank you for writing it !!!

13. Jade Mayhead 6 months ago

This is so helpful. I really like the swapping a bad habit for a good one.
    I’ve just started running so I feel this has really helped to plan the new regime

14. Success Strategies 6 months ago

I like 5 & 9. Expecting perfection is often the downfall of many, and most people forget to reward themselves progressively along the way. Great insights!

15. justineparagas 6 months ago

This post is great! Wonderful! 🙈😍 if you have time, try check out my blog 🙂 ty

© 2017, Millionaire's Digest Company - A Media Publishing Platform, Magazine Product Line, and Social Networking Site.

or